ROYAL NATIONAL PARK OVERNIGHT HIKE
THERE ARE STILL PLACES AVAILABLE! Please e-mail Lindsay at ltb22[at]cornell.edu by THIS SUNDAY the 29th to reserve your spot!
1-2 Nov (Wed-Thurs): Royal National Park overnight hike
We’ll be doing the famous 26km coastal walk through the 2nd oldest national park in the world!
Approximate itinerary: (subject to change)
9:00am: meet outside Woolworths across from Town Hall, buy food and supplies for hike
9:49am: catch train to Cronulla
11:30am: catch ferry to Bundeena (starting point of the hike)
12:00pm: begin 16km hike
7:00pm: arrive at Garie Beach hostel
complete 10km hike to Otford station
catch train back to the city by late afternoon
26km seems like a lot, but it’s divided up between two days so that we can take our time and enjoy the scenery – there are also lots of secluded beaches and coves along the way. We have rented out the Garie Beach YHA for the night and there are beds for 12 people only. Each person must bring his own linen (blankets and pillows are provided, but not shets). We’ll be buying supplies for Wed dinner (probably pasta) and Thurs breakfast/lunch.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
Approx. $10.60 for train tickets ($5.30 if you have concession) + $5 ferry.
Unimates will pay for the hostel and food for dinner and Thurs breakfast/lunch.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING?
Breakfast/lunch for Wed (day 1), bed sheets and pillowcase, change of clothes, bathing suit, towel/sarong, sunscreen, hat, camera, good walking shoes/boots, bug spray, torch (flashlight), backpack
READ THIS BEFORE SIGNING UP!!
– You may have to share a double bed with another person from the group
– You will have to carry some of our food supplies, plus all your own gear
– You must bring your own bedsheets and pillowcase (or sleeping bag)
– There are no flush toilets or showers at the hostel, only an “eco toilet” (doesn’t flush)
– There is cutlery and a stove at the hostel, but minimal electricity and no refrigerator
– You may have to help prepare meals
– You must be in good physical shape to do this hike
– We will be 40km from Sydney in a remote area, where it would be difficult to seek help if anything happens
Are you still interested in this amazing bushwalk? If so, email Lindsay at ltb22[at]cornell.edu by THIS SUNDAY the 29th.